Having students respond to writing prompts daily or on a regular basis helps build writing stamina and improves writing skills.
One writing prompt resource I love to use is Visual Writing Prompts. This website incorporates a quote, thought, or question with an image for students to respond with writing. You can search the website by genre, grade or subject.
If displaying a prompt with an image is not an option or something you prefer, here are some prompts I have used with secondary students (both middle and high school). Modify as you see fit!
- Which class does this school not offer that you wish it had? Explain why this class would be beneficial to students and the school.
- If you had three wishes, what would you wish would happen? (No wishes for more wishes).
- What would you do if you were lost on a deserted island?
- There’s a saying, “Finders keepers. Losers weepers.” If you found $100,000, would you return it or do you agree with the saying? Explain what actions you would take.
- What is your most memorable childhood memory?
- What do you do to deal with stress? Explain how you conquer it.
- Write about a time you or someone you know overcame an obstacle.
- Who is your favorite musical artist or group? What is your favorite song by this artist or group and what is special about the music?
- Should people keep it real and not wear fake hair, fingernails or get plastic surgery or it is okay to enhance yourself to look like you want to look?
- Adults claim the youth are on social media too much and are disconnected from the real world. Do you agree or disagree? Explain.
- Which animal is unnecessary? If you had the power to make one animal disappear from existence, which animal would it be?
- How do you deal with betrayal? Is it possible to fully trust someone again if he or she betrayed you?
- If you could give the entire human race a super power, what would it be and why?
- If you could meet a relative who died before you were born, who would it be? Explain.
- Which holiday or annual celebration do you enjoy most?
- Where do you see yourself in 15 years?
- Describe where you would like to go for a school learning trip and what you would like to learn and/or explore.
- If you could instantly master a skill, what would it be and how would it benefit you?
- If it were possible for you to travel into the future for 24 hours, how far into the future would you go and what would you like to learn?
- What is one lesson about life you have learned from the people who raised you?
- Describe something that really drives you crazy.
- How much value do you put into your reputation? What have you done to maintain or change your reputation?